Basic tool to convert .obj format files to .bas format

Started by jaymzjulian, October 28, 2019, 03:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaymzjulian

Just in case anyone else is trying to do 3d stuff on here, I figured I'd throw this up.  It does some basic material ignoring, and handles triangle and quads and tries to do some basic optimization of the object.  As I use it more, it'll improve, of course, but in case it's useful to anyone else, here it is :).

jaymzjulian

Quote from: jaymzjulian on October 28, 2019, 03:20:27 AM
Just in case anyone else is trying to do 3d stuff on here, I figured I'd throw this up.  It does some basic material ignoring, and handles triangle and quads and tries to do some basic optimization of the object.  As I use it more, it'll improve, of course, but in case it's useful to anyone else, here it is :).
I forgot the link: https://github.com/jaymzjulian/vectrex32_tools

jaymzjulian

As an aside: I have sitting in the old GBA folder also stuff for handling 3ds format models - all of the 3ds models I have to hand are way, way too complex for vectrex now, really, and since i think everything can output .obj  - but if anyone finds themselves in need of that, I can probaly help them out!

Vectrex32

jaymzjulian

I updated this today to also support turning triangle meshes into quad meshes, which reduces the line drawing load again - i actually prefer the look of quads to triangles, too, so that works out for me.  The algoryhtm is naieve as hell, though, so.... well, you know, ymmv.  I had the idea to acutally surface reduce _any_ surface types, after all, they're just lines at the end to us, so the shapes don't have to be quads - but that starts getting into some "interesting" heuristics in terms of what you remove and what you don't - the whole question of "what represents an inner beam vs what does not" type of thing, and to be honest my vector programming is a bit rusty still (it's been a good 10 years since I was messing with 3d engine coding last....).