Possibility of distributing stand-alone game cartridges in the future?

Started by ruckage, September 08, 2018, 06:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruckage

Hello, I just became the owner of Vectrex and discovered this project which looks amazing.  As someone who has always been interested in game development and having developed several games in the past (mainly for the GP2X) I'm very interested in trying the Vectrex32 myself.
There does seem to be a downside though.  As someone interested in developing the price seems perfectly fair to me but I can't see many people who just want to play the games investing in it.

Do you think it would be possible and cost effective to produce finished games as stand-alone cartridges containing the necessary Vectrex32 hardware (kind of like how Starfox etc. on the SNES incorporated the FX chip) so that finished games could reach a wider audience?  Particularly as many people enjoy collecting physical cartridge based games.

Vectrex32

Vectrex32 cartridges include a high end microcontroller and an expensive dual port memory chip. As such, they're much more expensive than traditional ROM cartridges. I don't think it's cost effective to dedicate a V32 to a single game.

- Bob