Not starting the Vectrex32

Started by Dominus, February 15, 2021, 06:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominus

I have a new Vectrex32 and I can't get it to start. It never starts up the menu but straight to Mine Storm.
However I can access the drive. From the files on it I guess it's firmware 1.20 (vectorgunner.bas is the newest file, dated 10/5/19)

Anything I can do?

I tried to put the upgrade to firmware 1.27 on it but it also won't start the upgrade

Edit: I have no cartridge to test whether the cartridge port fully works. I'll see if I can find one.

Vectrex32

Hi Dominus,

I'm sorry you're having this problem with the Vectrex32.

Certainly, a good thing to try would be using a regular game cartridge.

I have one other customer who found that he had to prop up the V32 to get it to work. He's never figured out why - other game cartridges work OK for him. But it's as if the extra weight or leverage of the V32 causes some mechanical connection to be bad. So he puts a few books under the V32 to support its weight.

It's also possible, of course, that there's something wrong with the V32. I test every one of them before they're sent out, and the fact that it connects to the PC means that it's at least partially working. But if we can't figure out what's wrong, you can always it send it back to me and I'll test it here.

- Bob

Dominus

I'll try propping it and will look for an original cartridge and then report back. Thanks for your fast help!

Dominus

Propping it WORKED!!!
Thank you so much!

Vectrex32

Glad to hear it, though it's certainly a sub-optimal solution.

The enclosure for standard cartridges provides more support for the weight, since they fit snugly into the side of the Vectrex. The V32 doesn't fit in a standard cartridge, but if you're into 3D printing, you could whip something up that might work.

- Bob

Dominus

Why suboptimal? It looks perfect https://www.dropbox.com/s/juo9ef8pxfermmf/IMG_4023.JPG?dl=0

Seriously you are right a 3D printed case might do the job. OTOH the casing like it is is already great!

Vectrex32

You're right. It looks fine the way it is.   ;D