Main Menu

vxtron32 beta 1

Started by jaymzjulian, January 18, 2020, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaymzjulian

Since I've been pottering around on this for about 2 months now, on and off, and we've been having some fun playing it here, I decided to make a beta release of vxtron32 - especially since I suspect won't have much vectrex time for a few weeks.   Note that you MUST copy both the .bas and the .ayc to your vectrex32, or the game won't run.

But there will be a later release which fixes at least the stuff below....

Bugs/Todos:
There is some pretty bad code in there still - in particular, i do want to rework how collisions and bike movement is done (that is to say, I want to allow fractional movement by not using a grid, but rather line intersection, for collisions), which I was going to do before this, but that doens't really affect the gameplay (other than unlocking the internal logic from being 20fps, BUT most of the time you're not going above that anyhow ;)).  I do want to fix this, but I wanted to get some outside feedback and so I'm not delaying for that right now.

One of the biggest "TODOs" is that the music is NOT final - it's actually currently from the atari st game "Switchblade".  I am working on an original soundtrack for this, but learning the AY took a little longer than I expected, and I didn't want to hold up other people playing it for that :).

I've seen the thing just crash a few times, but not reliably.  If it does for you, something has gone wrong that I'll need to address - there is a variable at the top, "release_mode" that switches that to tell you _why_ it did that, hopefully.

Also, yes, i'm aware the AI isn't great :).

Credits/Thanks:

Thanks to Ilkke for the cycle models used in the game, as well as to Bob for his massive help with me getting to grips with the platform. 

Controls:
As per the readme:

Controls for one player (third person):
joystick - move camera
button 1 - turn left
button 2 - turn right
button 3 - zoom camera in
button 4 - zoom camera out

Controls for one player (first person):

button 1 - turn left
button 2 - turn right
button 3 - peek left
button 4 - peek right

Controls for two players on one controller:

button 1 - turn left
button 2 - turn right
button 3 - turn left (player 2)
button 4 - turn right (player 2)

Hopefully someone other than me enjoys this ;)

EDIT: video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MObh_HrQ2w

EDIT2: see later post for zip file now :)

VectorWorlds

I've seen a couple of the videos you posted on this and it looks awesome.  It looked so good I bought myself a Vectrex32 to play around with. Hope to get some time tomorrow to download it and give it a spin :)

jaymzjulian

I found a pretty big bug around the way I'm using DPRam for audio synchronization - it apparently worked only reliably in my development environment, as soon as you started it from autorun.bas, a timing issue would crash the entire platform.  This version should be much more stbale...