Textsize bug?

Started by Malban, December 12, 2019, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malban

Trying out the Bezier thingy.

Loaded the program and it runs well.
The textsize does not display to well on my vectrex, so I wanted to draw smaller text.

The instruction is defined as:
instructions = { _
   {-50, 100, "INSTRUCTIONS"}, _
   {-80, 90, "PRESS BUTTON 1 TO +1 BEZIER STEPS."}, _
   {-80, 80, "PRESS BUTTON 2 TO -1 BEZIER STEPS."}, _
   {-80, 70, "MIN STEP IS 1 - MAX STEP IS 20."}, _
   {-80, 60, "USE JOYSTICK TO MOVE CURSOR."}, _
   {-80, 50, "PRESS BUTTON 3 TO (UN)SELECT."}, _
   {-80, 40, "PRESS BUTTON 4 TO EXIT."} _
}

and called later with

' Display instructions.
   textSize = {25, 2}
   call TextSizeSprite(textSize)
   call TextListSprite(instructions)

However the smaller size given (with the second parameter "2") is only used for the first line, not for the complete text:

Shouldn't the size be used for all the text?

Malban

Vectrex32

I'm on vacation, so I won't be able to look into this until sometime next week.

- Bob

jaymzjulian

Weirdly, for me it _does_ change the height of every line of text.... with (25,2) i get 4 lines of all very short text, not the same thing you've got, so I don't quite know what's up with that....

all i did:
1) grab the code that's on https://jameltayeb.com/2019/11/01/lightpen-debacle/
2) change textsizesprite to 25,2
3) get the attached image (sorry for the potato resolution.... webcam plus 128kb upload limit ;))

EDIT: I'm happy to see if it similarly fails to reproduce/second set of eyes if you post your modified code, btw. 

Vectrex32

I'm back from vacation and I've had a chance to try this.

If I shorten the text strings, it works as it should: all the lines of text are the same size font. I'm not doing anything on the V32 side to cause this. My guess is that the Vectrex BIOS, or maybe the Vectrex hardware, is reacting badly to long lines of text.

Malban, through the tutorials you've written, you've basically taught me everything I know about the Vectrex. I'm not going to speculate on the cause of this when I'm in the presence of the master. My only suggestion is that you test my theory by writing a 6809 program to display those lines of text using Print_List.

- Bob

Malban

Its not the BIOS.

I checked with a program...
- but I'll try it on a different Vectrex... might be that my test vectrex is a bit "special"...

It behaves a bit differently on occasions (thats why it is my test Vectrex :-) ).

Cheers

Malban