Analog mode: 8-bit positions

Started by hcmffm, October 24, 2016, 05:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcmffm

Currently, in analog mode the horizontal and vertical joystick positions are 4 bit, i.e. you have 16 different horizontal and 16 vertical values. These 16 horizontal and 16 vertical values makes placing objects directly using the positions returned by the joystick impossible because there would be only a total of 256 X/Y positions which is too coarse. In other words: Games like Missile Command or Star Hawk couldn't be programmed.

The joystick has a resolution of 256 horizontal and 256 vertical positions, i.e. 8 bit. Is a change to full 8-bit horizontal and vertical joystick values possible?

Vectrex32

Vectrex32

I've just finished version 1.11. WaitForFrame function now supports an optional fourth argument that specifies the analog joystick resolution.

When I upgrade 1.00 cartridges, I'll be upgrading them with 1.11 (assuming a newer version doesn't come out by then).

- Bob

hcmffm

Quote from: Vectrex32 on October 26, 2016, 10:54:51 AM
I've just finished version 1.11. WaitForFrame function now supports an optional fourth argument that specifies the analog joystick resolution.
Cool. Thanks for your excellent responsivness and prompt action - much appreciated!  :)