Alternate enclosure

Started by Minestorm, September 11, 2016, 01:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minestorm

Wanted to protect the PCB more by fully enclosing it in a standard Vectrex case.

Was surprised that the board isn't the 'regulation' size / mounting holes.

Anyway, no problem, I 3D printed one  :)

Vectrex32

bug88

Quote from: Minestorm
Anyway, no problem, I 3D printed one  :)
ace, love it

(are u in uk?)  :)

Minestorm

50TBRD

Does the PCB seat better than the stock configuration?

Vectrex32

Quote from: 50TBRD on September 21, 2016, 03:33:00 PM
Does the PCB seat better than the stock configuration?

It wouldn't. The issue is the PCB shape, not the enclosure.

I have never had a problem with the Vectrex32 being properly seated. I've heard of one person who had some problems and attributed it to seating. Has anyone else had problems?

- Bob

bug88

this is only a random guess but, im wondering if for some vectrex's which have been more used than others, i wonder if the cartridge slot 'loosens up' a little over time perhaps?

Minestorm

QuoteDoes the PCB seat better than the stock configuration?

I found Bob's case OK until  the USB cable was plugged in. It then tended to 'waggle' a bit in the port.

Vectrex32

I just experimented with plugging a USB into my phone and one of my cameras. They waggle too.

All USB jacks will allow the plug to waggle. To fix it, you need a case that fits snugly around the plug's plastic shell. AFAIK, there is no standard for the size and shape of USB plug shells, so you run the risk of making a case that will fit one USB cable perfectly, while allowing slimmer cables to waggle and preventing bulkier cables from being plugged in at all.

Minestorm

No, not the USB, the PCB in the Vec's cart slot. When you catch the cable it tends to pull the PCB downwards.