A basic BASIC starting point?

Started by Airhogg, November 09, 2023, 02:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airhogg

I see that the GS BASIC manual (v 1.25) indicates that a previous working knowledge of BASIC will assist the user.  Can anyone suggest a very entry level book (or other guide) to a version of BASIC that would align well with GS?  I tinkered with BASIC on the C64 back in the day (teenage years), but a lot has happened since then and I've forgotten pretty much everything...and my BASIC knowledge even then was very.... basic!  I'm sure experimenting with the Vectrex32 sample programs for learning will be fun and helpful, but if there is a manual that anyone thinks may assist, I would greatly appreciate that advice!

Thanks in advance!

Vectrex32

I called the Vectrex32 language "BASIC", and it certainly has some features in common with BASIC, but it's also very far removed from the BASICs of 40 years ago.

So I'm not sure how valuable it would be to read one of those old books.

What's important is that you understand the fundamentals of programming, e.g. what variables are and how to use them, the basic idea of writing program statements, what IF-THEN-ELSE, FOR loops, and WHILE loops are, etc.

I would suggest starting with the GSBASIC manual. If there are things you're not familiar with, come back here and ask. That will give us a better idea of how much programming you remember, and what kind of books might help.

- Bob

Airhogg

Thank you, Bob!  Will do!  ...that was fast!