Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 316 times)

bug88

• View Profile
Introduce Yourself
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
hi all, good to meet you  :)

I thought it might be a nice idea if people introduce themselves here, maybe just to say a little bit about if you own the vectrex32 smartcart, what level you are at regarding basic programming, and perhaps what you hope to do with your vectrex32 smartcart?

regarding myself, i do not own a vectrex32 smartcart yet, but looking to purchase one in the future hopefully

and regarding my programming skills, i would class myself as a novice, although i have done some basic and c programming in the past (but mostly at a beginner level)

i'm interested in how the 'old school' type of video game is put together and hope to learn some things about how it is done.  hoping this new forum will be a good place to chat and learn together  :)

Vectrex32

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:18:55 AM »
I'm Bob and I created the SmartCart. I'm a software engineer with a few hardware skills. I bought my Vectrex back in the '80s. I actually haven't been a part of the Vectrex community, but I was aware of it. When I was looking for a new hobby project, I decided on some sort of 32 bit upgrade to the Vectrex. I've been working on it for two years.

Here's my best Vectrex story: I was sitting in my bachelor apartment one night back in the 80s, playing Star Trek on the Vectrex. I fired at a Klingon and blew up his ship. At that exact moment, there was a bright flash of light outside my window, a loud boom, and all the electricity went out in the apartment.

My first thought was: that's one hell of a game.

My second thought was: it's a nuclear attack (remember this was during the Cold War).

My third thought was: the light and the noise reached me simultaneously, so if it was a nuclear bomb, it was really close. I'd be dead now. So it wasn't a nuclear bomb.

It turned out an electrical junction box in the apartment complex had been under repair. The repairman did something wrong and it blew up. Fortunately, he was far away from it when it happened; no one was hurt.

gliptitude

• View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »
My name is Jason. I have a background in filmmaking, animation, art, drawing and painting. I do a lot of dabbling and I haven't settled on my medium yet. Game design is a serious interest of mine.

I discovered vector graphics, Vectrex and homebrew video games all around the same time, in 2012. I've been obsessed ever since. I follow new developments for the NES and Atari 2600, but I especially keep up with the Vectrex scene.

Discovering these scenes and participating in them is something I have always taken as a creative endeavor. I haven't really delved into programming yet, and I'm not sure that will ever be a practical course for me. But I have made some overlay prototypes and I have extensively prototyped an original Vectrex game using clips of animation I made with the Lightpen.

I don't know any BASIC and I haven't bought a Vectrex32 SmartCart yet. My main object will be to test other people's programs and to be able to play whatever new stuff people come up with. So I'm kind of waiting for others to make some progress before I buy in. With the small number of units initially available I thought it made sense for those to end up in the hands of programmers and for me to wait.